Ideas Portal: How can we improve Surpass?

Marking file attach questions

When marking a file attach question you see the same two icons as a candidate; download file and upload file. As teacher you need to click on download to check the file uploaded by the candidate. It is not possible to add corrections. It is also not possible to write corrections at all or you have to use "Notes", but notes are not mentioned to be used for writting the corrections (I think).

Here one should expect that download means download the file which was uploaded by the candidate. And upload means upload the candidates file again but this time including the teachers corrections.

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CBE Docent shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sam Boniface commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be possible to add a little symbol i.e. a little exclamation mark to indicate if something has been uploaded?

• CBE Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The suggested improvements look good however I would like to see two buttons like the one for candidates at the teachers side. One with "Download candidate document" and one with "Upload teacher response".

• AdminClaire Belmont (Product Owner, BTL Group Ltd.) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is an overview of how the candidate and marker experiences could be improved:

For the candidate, we have put together wireframes that will restrict the buttons available to candidates using SecureClient. These candidates will be able to use an ‘Open/Edit Document’ button instead of having the upload button on the right that had no function for these students. Please select the follow link for candidate wireframes: https://live.uxpin.com/469c5a62745c40ef74047abf3a163a6fef59f6b3#/pages/19576877

For the teacher, we have address the confusion that can be caused by the teacher/marker having the same buttons available to them that the candidate has by changing the button on the right from upload to file attach, along with the tooltip showing that this button can be used for file management. This ensures that what was the upload button is now relevant for both the candidates and the markers. Please select the follow link for marker wireframes: https://live.uxpin.com/8bb55c38ce58e28f4a270b33e03000fb4f2bdc5f?#/pages/24592011/sitemap

If you have any further questions or would like me to take you through the wireframes please let me know. Also, please feel free to feedback on this solution.

Thanks,
        Claire

• CBE Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now we suggest teachers not to use this question because it is confusing for students. Students see 2 icons and we need to tell them to double click on the left item to open the attached file. The right icon had no function for students.

For teachers it is the opposite. When marking the left icon has no function and they need to click on the right icon to see the students file before they can open it.
        A teacher can't write in the students file (read only) and thus can't write any feedback and / or comment in this file. The only option is a note in Notes which is very inconvenient and unpractical to mark the students answers which they wrote in the attached file.

So please redesign this question. Remove the right icon in the candidates view and make it possible for teachers to write in the attached file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base