The 12.15 release of Surpass includes an array of exciting new features and enhancements, including an interactive caliper tool, options for rationale and negative scoring in 'Item Authoring', survey sections, and improvements to the 'Tasks' screen.
You can read a brief description of each feature below. Watch the Surpass 12.15 Release playlist on the Learning Portal for a demonstration of some of the key features.
New and Improved Features
NEW: Caliper Tool (HTML Delivery)
Description: A caliper tool can now be made available for candidates to use in HTML delivery. Candidates can use the caliper tool to measure anything on the interface using several different units of measurement.
Purpose: This allows candidates to measure image on-screen as part of the test.
NEW: Table of Contents and Bookmarks in PDF Viewer
Description: If bookmarks have been added to a PDF before uploading to the media library, candidates will now have access to a table of contents when using the PDF viewer.
Purpose: This allows the candidate to easily navigate large documents during their test.
IMPROVED: Hide Button for Auto-Launched Source Material
Description: When source material is set to auto-launch, if there is only one piece of source material associated with the item that can auto-launch, the button for that piece of source material will not be visible to the candidate beneath the question stem if using HTML SecureClient.
Purpose: This will reduce confusion for the candidate about whether source material is open or not.
NEW: Edit Task
Description: Task managers can now edit ‘General’ and ‘Review’ tasks at both ‘Not started’ and ‘In progress’ states.
Purpose: This functionality allows task managers to refresh item lists, change assignees, and extend deadlines if necessary.
NEW: Final Decision
Description: Task managers can now see how reviewers voted on 'Review' tasks and use this information to make a final decision. When you select the new 'Decision' button, you can add a comment and change the workflow status of the item. These changes will apply to the item in 'Item Authoring'.
Purpose: This allows task managers to use review data to assess the quality of the item and track their decision in Surpass.
NEW: Access Overdue Tasks
Description: You can now enter and edit a task after its end date if you have task manager permissions.
Purpose: This allows task managers to make a final decision after the task end date has passed. This feature also allows task managers to edit expired tasks and extend their deadlines
IMPROVED: Item Information Panel
Description: The item information panel on the ‘Item Review’ screen has new tabs for Item Tags, Enemy items, Citations, and General Feedback.
Purpose: You can now access more comprehensive information about the item under review (for example, whether the correct tag values are assigned, etc.).
Video of all improvements to 'Tasks': https://youtu.be/zyDNK4sSmh4
NEW: Negative Marking (HTML Delivery)
Description: You can now set negative weighted marks for answer options in Multiple Choice and Multiple Response questions. This is set up using the existing Weighted Marking feature, which has now been extended to Multiple Response questions.
Purpose: Candidates can now be discouraged from guessing by being given negative marks for incorrect answers.
Description: You can now enable a 'Rationale' field for each answer option in Multiple Choice and Multiple Response questions. You can add rationale to each answer option when editing a question and export this rationale for review using 'Export to Word Doc'.
Purpose: Item authors can use the 'Rationale' field to explain why they have included each answer option. This is particularly useful as part of the quality review process.
IMPROVED: Bulk Update Tags (.csv)
Description: You can now update multiple tag values on up to 5000 items at once using a spreadsheet. Previously, bulk updating tags limited you to applying the same additions or removals to all included items.
Purpose: You can efficiently change the tag values for multiple items at the same time.
NEW: Add Images to Stem Text (HTML Delivery)
Description: You can now embed images in the middle of question and answer stem text.
Purpose: This gives you more freedom in how you use images. For example, you could use an image to insert a special character that is not available in the formatting toolbar.
NEW: Item Set Enemy Relationships
Description: You can now set enemy relationships at an item set level, so that an item set cannot appear in the same test as another item or item set.
Purpose: This ensures that all items within an item set share the enemy relationship and allows you to make whole item sets enemies of each other.
NEW: Subject Master Lists
Description: You can now create a master list for your subject in the ‘Item Lists (Beta)’ screen. Subject master lists contain all items within its parent subject. You can also share items between subject master lists.
Purpose: This allows you to easily view all items within a subject from the 'Item Lists (Beta)' screen.
NEW: Survey Sections (HTML Delivery)
Description: There is now a new 'Survey Section' section type, which is supported in HTML delivery. Items added to this section type automatically become non-scored and this section is timed independently of the test.
Purpose: Candidates have a clear picture of their remaining test time and are not penalised for completing survey items. The presence of survey items also does not affect the progress bar, minimising confusion over how many items are left in the test.
NEW: Exclude Test Form from Random Selection when Scheduling
Description: This new setting allows you to exclude a test form from being randomly selected at the point of scheduling.
Purpose: This is particularly useful to keep modified test forms separate from random selection, for example those created for candidates with reasonable adjustments.
IMPROVED: Text Formatting for NDA Confirmation Text
Description: The new formatting toolbar allows you to format the text that is displayed to candidates on the NDA confirmation screen. It is also possible to import text from a Word document and retain the formatting.
Purpose: This gives you more control of the appearance of the NDA confirmation text in delivery.
Setup & Site Settings
Integration: Updates to v2 of the API
- Enhancements to the Item API to support negative marks for answer options in Multiple Choice and Multiple Response question types. This can be done by changing the marking type property to ‘Weighted’, which is now also supported for Multiple Response questions.
- Enhancements to the Item API to support the new ‘Rationale’ field, where item authors can explain why they have included each answer option. You can enable the ‘Rationale’ field and add ‘Rationale’ text to each answer option via the Item API.
- The ability to create or edit an item or item set to have an enemy relationship with another item set, using either the Item or ItemSet APIs.
- The ability to enable the quality review panel in HTML delivery via a new parameter when scheduling tests via the API.
- The ability to identify a Survey Section in the Result, AnalyticsResult and HistoricalResult APIs, so that you can get the candidate’s responses to items. Survey Sections contain items that are non-scored, which are included for the purpose of gathering data from candidates.
- Support in the Analytical and Historical Result APIs to support Learning Outcome and Unit result information, including the grade achieved by the candidate.
- Enhancements to the Subject and ItemList APIs to support master lists, which contain all items within a subject. If you have the ‘Manage Subjects’ permission, you can enable a master list for a subject in the Subject API. You can also filter in the GET resource of the ItemList API to find master lists and there is a new property within an item list so you can identify a master list. You cannot create, edit, or delete master lists via the Item List API.
- Enhancements to the ItemList API to support the new ability to share items with a master list. This includes the ability to share items with a master list using the ItemList PUT method and view items shared with a master list from the Item GET and ItemList GET methods.
- If you have uploaded a JSON or XML file to the ‘Metadata Uploader’ of a test form in ‘Test Creation’, you can now retrieve this file via the Test Form API.
- Support for the new ‘Exclude from Random Test Form Selection’ in the Schedule API so that test forms with this setting selected are not available for selection via the API.
- The ability to extract the PO number for a scheduled test session from the TestSession and Result APIs. You can also filter to retrieve PO numbers added between started and submitted dates.
- The ability to add a Caliper tool to an item via the Item API.
Additional Features and Enhancements
- The ability to define a new mark for unattempted questions for scripts in the 'Re-Mark' screen.
- Enhancements to the formatting options available when creating source material in the media library.
- The ability to add images in-line with text to question stem and answer options for items used in HTML delivery.
- The ability to set a 'Pass Range' for a section in 'Test Creation'.
- A new 'Metadata Uploader' that allows you to upload a .json or .xml file to a test form, for use outside of Surpass.
- The ability to generate reports from the 'Custom Reports' screen of 'Reporting'.
- Support for French-Canadian as an administrative language in Surpass.
- Enhancements to the behaviour of PDFs when attached to items that are grouped for delivery, so PDFs attached to all items are accessed from a single link at the top of the page.
- The ability to add comments to introduction pages using the quality review panel in HTML delivery.
- A new 'Requires BYOD mode' test setting that indicates when a candidate will be using their own device. To find out more about BYOD mode, please speak to your BTL account manager.
- The introduction of tag collections, which can be created via the API. To find out more about this feature, please speak to your BTL account manager.