Remember: Statistics will not be available after a test has been taken until the following day. There must also be a minimum of 3 tests submitted before any data will be available.
Step 1: The ‘Reporting’ Screen
To view item performance data, go to the ‘Reporting’ screen and from the 'Analytical Data' section, select the Test Form you wish to see Item Performance data for by clicking on the bold and underlined number.
Step 2: Select 'Items Delivered'
From the Test Form table, select the bold and underlined number in the 'Items Delivered' column.
Items Delivered Analysis Table Explained
The results display various pieces of information about the item. These terms are explained below:
- Item Position: where the items appeared in the test (i.e. what number question it was). Note: if the test is dynamic or randomised, no information will be displayed here as the position would change for each test.
- Item Name: the name of the item.
- Mean Mark / Max. Mark: mean and maximum mark available. Calculation excludes candidates who did not view the item.
- Item Exposure: the number of times the item has been presented within this test form (excluding candidates who did not view the item).
- Attempted: the number of candidates who attempted the item.
- Viewed Only: number of times the item was viewed but not attempted by a candidate.
- Not Viewed: number of times the item was not viewed by a candidate.
- P Value: the difficulty level of the item. Also known as ‘Facility Value’.
- DI: the Discrimination Index of the item - this is calculated from the percentage of high scoring candidates who answered the item correctly against the percentage of low scoring candidates who answered the item correctly.
- Version: The version of the item that the report is for.
The 'Quintile Analysis' will be displayed to the right of the report; more details can be found by selecting the 'Details' tab in this box. This graph displays the P value for each quintile across the range, the first quintile representing the highest scoring candidates across to the fifth quintile representing the lowest scoring candidates.
The 'Distractor Analysis' tab will display data for Multiple Choice, Multiple Response and Either/Or items only. Here you can view a table which highlights all of the answer options for the question item selected in the Item Performance Analysis Table, with the correct answer(s) highlighted.
The table displays how many high, middle and low scoring groups of candidates selected each of the available answer options for the question.
The ‘Details’ tab includes much of the information mentioned in the Item Performance Analysis Explained section above, as well as further information about the item such as Item ID, Last Saved By, and Average Response Time.
Within this tab, you can also view a read-only version of the item by selecting the ‘Preview Item’ button.
Raw Data Extract
Selecting the ‘Raw Data Extract’ option will generate a CSV document which allows you to view the data in its 'raw', unprocessed form. On choosing this option, you will be able to select which pieces of data you want to export to a CSV file. Users can choose to export some, or all of this data. This option is useful to users wanting a comprehensive overview of the specific details in a test, or to export the information into other statistical analysis systems.
Note: Should a user wish Surpass to remember their selections for future exports, they can select the 'Make Default' button, and the system will remember which columns they chose to export for future exports. This setting is on a user-by-user basis.
For more information on the raw data extract and a list of the available data, take a look at the Raw Data Extract article.
For further information about the Items Delivered report, visit the Items Delivered Report Surpass Help page.